«The state of gender education in Kazakhstan» scientific search, january-april 2019
20 years of gender education in Kazakhstan
On April 25, 2019, Research Institute on Social and Gender Studies of Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University held a round table on the topic: «Issues of teaching gender disciplines in higher educational institutions of Kazakhstan».
Round table was opened by Director of Department for Research and Innovations of Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University S.M. Shakirova with a report «20 years of gender education in Kazakhstan: need to restart».
The following people took part in the discussion: doctor of philosophy, professor, chief researcher at the Institute of philosophy, political science and religious studies of Science Committee of the Ministry of Education of Republic of Kazakhstan G.G. Solovyova; director of the shelter for victims of domestic violence «Arasha» M.A. Uskembaeva; doctor of sociology, associate professor of the department of sociology and social work at Kazakh National University named after Al-Farabi B.N. Kylyshbaeva; member of Union of Artists of Kazakhstan, president of public association «League of Women of Creative Initiative» A.U. Hayrullina; master of humanities, teacher of Kazakh national conservatory named after Kurmangazy E. Zh. Zhaparov; teacher of Kazakh Academy of transport and communications named after M. Tynyshpaev A.B. Sarbasova; PhD candidate of Istanbul technical university A.S. Salimzhanova; PhD candidate at university of Nur-Mubarak S. Kagazbekova; PhD candidate at Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University N. Zhanabaeva. Maria Tufik, a professor at Hassan University in Morocco, took part in the round table.
Results of recently completed study «Directory of gender education in higher educational institutions of Republic of Kazakhstan» were presented by senior researcher of Research Institute on Social and Gender Studies M.M. Dabyltaeva.
According to results of national research «Directory of elective disciplines on gender issues in universities of Kazakhstan», conducted at the beginning of 2019 by Research Institute on Social and Gender Studies of Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University, in 2018-2019 academic year, separate gender courses are conducted in 21 universities, sections and topics on gender issues are included in mandatory subjects – in 12 universities. As a result, this is 26% of total number of universities of the Republic.
on round table
- It is necessary to ensure development of gender disciplines in universities, both quantitatively and qualitatively, with an update of content.
- It is necessary to ensure the growth of research works on gender issues in undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs.
- One of the most important issues is publication of educational, methodical and scientific literature on gender issues, primarily in Kazakh language, as well as in Russian, English and other languages (if available).
- Over the past 20 years since official introduction of teaching gender courses in universities of the country, many events have been held: international, republican, university-level scientific and practical conferences, seminars, round tables, separate sections at symposia, trainings, summer schools, research presentations, training courses, etc.
- Despite this, we should look for new creative forms of presentation of research results and their open, informal discussion among scientists, university professors, students and NGOs. New discussion formats, such as TEDx, and time-tested forms (workshops, debates, presentation and discussion of new publications, meetings with authors and public figures, public readings, guest lectures, social projects) should be used at all levels of continuous gender education.
- The issue of creating information resources on gender issues on the Internet and discussion platforms in social networks remains relevant.
- Teaching staff, researchers and students involved in gender issues should regularly exchange information, experiences and results of their research. Both institutionalized and informal networking of researchers and teachers of universities, colleges and schools should contribute to wide development of gender education in the R
- It is necessary to create a Single national portal on gender education and research in Kazakhstan on the basis of web resource of Research Institute on Social and Gender Studies (for example, gender.kz).
- Universities and research institutes of the country should more actively develop international scientific contacts with gender researchers in the near and far abroad. Invitation of scientists for modular courses, guest lectures, seminars and workshops should be planned in advance and confirmed by appropriate funding from budget of university.
- Within the framework of academic mobility and scientific internships, it is necessary to send students of undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies to leading research centers, universities, libraries, etc.
- For the purpose of progressive work on preparation of a specialized scientific journal on gender issues that meets the criteria of international rating journals, Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University offers the journal «Bulletin of Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University», included to the list of editions recommended by Committee for Control in the Sphere of Education and Science of Ministry of Education and Science of Republic of Kazakhstan, as the main edition for publishing articles.
«Social portrait and public role of Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University graduates» study for the 75th anniversary of Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University, january-september 2019
«The impact of women’s employment on the life satisfaction: the economically disadvantageous burden of unpaid work for family members in Kazakhstan», participation in the UNDP socio-economic research, 2018
«A multifaceted youth: a socio-psychological portrait of students in Almaty city», sociological survey, 2018
“Unpaid domestic work: recognition and evaluation”, research project, 2018
«Analar Sayabagy», the project within the framework of the sub-project “Uly dala zhastary/Kyzdar University” of the Modernization of Kazakhstan’s identity program, 2018
«Gender socialization in the family», research project / grant financing of the Foundation of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan — Elbasy, 2012-2013
«Gender Approach in the Education System of the Republic of Kazakhstan», research project / grant financing of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2009-2011
«Gender education», research project /grant financing of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2003-2005
«Gender policy of the Republic of Kazakhstan», research project/grant financing of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2003-2005
«Fundamentals of gender education in secondary and higher education», research project/grant financing of the Soros-Kazakhstan Foundation, 2001-2003
«Gender Education Program in Kazakhstan», research project/grant funding of UNICEF, 2001-2004